Gotong Royong at Muar
The Muar Sri Sathya Sai Centre along with the Local Government and other NGOs carried olut a massive “Gotong Royong” cum Denggi eradication programme in Muar along Jalan Salleh on 5th June, 2011 from 8.00 a.m. to 11.30 a.m. A total of more than 150 adults and children took part in this programme.
The following are the Governmentaol Departments, other Non Government Organisations and other private organizations which took part in the programme:-
- Jawatan Kemajuan dan Keselamatan Kampung, (JKKK) Sungai Abong.
- Pejabat Kesihatan Daerah Muar.
- Pejabat Majlis Perbandaran Muar.
- Jabatan Bomba, Muar.
- Pejabat Southern Waste Management, Daerah Muar.
- Pejabat Ketua Kampung, Sungai Abong, Muar.
Residents who participated in the gotong royong were from:
a) Lorong Wan Chik, Jalan Salleh.
b) Lorong Hir, Jalan Salleh.
c) Lorong Hedra, Jalan Salleh.
d) Lorong Md Dali, Jalan Salleh.
e) Taman Putera Murni, Jalan Salleh.
The area covered was in a densely populated area in the less developed part of Muar Town which can be considered a kampong area with more than 200 families from the lower income group, covering an area of 4 to 5 Sq. Km. Taman Putera Murni nearby was also included in the programme(about 200 to 300 families). A total of 154 people took part in the programme – Food, hot drinks and mineral water were served to all participants. Hand gloves and dispensable plastic was also distributed.
The following activities were carried out at the Gotong Royong project:-
1. Mosquitoes breeding materials were collected.
2. Clogged drains were cleared.
3. Unwanted dumping area was cleared.
4. Overgrown grasses and tree branches were cut.
5. Chemical to prevent mosquitoes from breeding were sprayed.
6. Majlis Perbandaran Muar lorries collected all the unwanted household items.
The response from the residents of the project area was most encouraging. Their moral was very high. Being school holidays, the children took part in the programme with great enthusiasm. On the whole, it was a very successful project.