Action for the Betterment of Community (ABC) is a programme to create an awareness of the importance of human values (e.g. filial piety, truth, right conduct, non-violence etc.) on a sustainable basis in a selected settlement or a community area which is noted to be an area with high incidence of social problems.
The objectives of ABC include:
- To promote better neighbourliness: a spirit of caring and sharing amongst the residents
- To promote inter-racial and inter-religious harmony amongst the residents
- To promote family unity, i.e. greater bonding and inter-action between parents and children (Teenagers and young adults)
- To promote healthy and wholesome activities for the youth
- To reduce vandalism and crime in the area
The Sathya Sai Baba Central Council of Malaysia having successfully conducted ABC at the San Peng flats in Kuala Lumpur back in 1997, has now, with the support of the Jabatan Perpaduan Negara dan Integrasi Nasional, embarked on another project at Desa Mentari.
Among activities planned for the community under the ABC programme, include medical camps, sporting competitions, cultural shows, free English tuition and education programmes.